HISTORY OF CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH
The congregation began as a mission of First Baptist Church in 1963 and was located in a house on Chappell Hill Street. The congregation was known as Beverly Hills Baptist Chapel. On Sunday, September 12, 1965 the Chapel was organized into Calvary Baptist Church, with 84 charter members. The Rev. A.A. Palmer served as pastor of the newly organized church until June 1969.
On August 1, 1969, the Rev. Larry Embry was called as pastor. Property had been purchased on Niebuhr Street and following a building fund effort, a new church and educational building were built at 1100 Niebuhr, Street the present location. The dedication date was March 19, 1972.
Additional adjoining property was purchased the following year, bringing the total church property to about three acres. As the church grew, additional educational space was needed. On January 23, 1977, a two-story educational building and fellowship hall was dedicated. The present sanctuary was dedicated on October 2, 1988. The original worship area was remodeled into a fellowship hall with kitchen and restrooms.
On August 2, 2004, Rev. Embry retired after completing 35 years of service.
The Rev. Dr. Dean Meade served as Pastor from July 1, 2005 until August 31, 2012.
Rev. William (Billy) Sutherland served as a pulpit supply pastor beginning September 1, 2012. He was called to become the pastor of Calvary Baptist Church on April 21, 2013
On September 12th, 2014 Calvary celebrated its 49th anniversary as a church.
Calvary Baptist Church cooperates with the Southern Baptist Convention, the Southern Baptists of Texas, and the Brazos Valley Baptist Network.
“To God be the glory. Great things He has done”